Kohima is a picturesque City in the North-Eastern border. Kohima district was established in 1881 as a sub-division of formerly Naga Hills District within Assam. Nagaland became a fully fledged State on 1st December 1963, with Kohima as the State Capital.
A Brief Description about Kohima Town Committee (KTC)
- Kohima Town Committee (KTC) came into existence in 1957.
- KTC initially consisted of only 8 wards with 8 elected members & 4 Government nominees.
Kohima Town Committee (KTC) Pioneers
- Shri. Yusuf Ali, IFAS was the first Ex-Officio Chairman of KTC.
- With Late Dr. Neilhouzhu Kire as its first Vice-Chairman (1957-1967)
- Late Joseph Jasokie was its first elected Chairman (1982-1983)
- In 2005, the first Municipality was constituted in Kohima, under the provisions of the Nagaland Municipal Act, 2001 with 19 elected councillors
Formation of Kohima Municipal Council (KMC) :
- KMC is still in its nascent & transitional stage and is yet to be a full-fledged Municipality (powers & functions)
- Under the 12th Schedule of the 74th Constitutional Amendment Act, there are 18 Powers and Functions which are to be transferred by the State Govt. Departments to the ULBs.
- Subsequently, through a Cabinet decision, The Nagaland Municipal Act 2001 was enacted, and notified on the 18th of October, 2001. However, concern line departments are yet to comply in transferring its powers & functions to the ULBs.
- KMC at present have 19 Wards covering a total area of nearly 11sq.km which accounts for just over 17% of the total planning area of greater Kohima with a population of 98,000 as per 2011 census.